Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Old Ladies in Lijiang

Well, we're 3 days into Hanoi and I'm still blogging about China, the good news is that I'm not spending much time in front of my computer, which sort of equates to work in my head, so I must be on vacation.

Anyway, to accompany the pictures of kids, here are some pictures of old ladies. The first women was carefully picking out which vegetables to buy, older men and women clearly spent more time doing this than younger customers.


This women was selling live fish and eels of various sorts, and was doing a lively business.



This woman was walking so determinedly through the market that I had to take her picture, even if only in profile. She was wearing a bandanna-like face mask over her face to protect her from pollution, a common site in China (though there was no pollution to speak of in Lijiang).


This was another common site, 2 women (or men) walking slowly together doing their morning errands. They are walking in what I think of as the distinctive Chinese style (at least for older Chinese) with their hands clasped behind their backs. Kathy and I could crack up our colleagues just by imitating this slow-gaited walk.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: